REGINA — Saskatchewan says it wants in on the federal money Ottawa is sending to eastern tourism industries hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Premier Scott Moe tweeted a letter he sent to the federal economic development minister expressing his disappointment Western Canada was left out of a $46 million package to help tourism in Quebec and Atlantic Canada.
Minister Melanie Joly said earlier this week the country’s tourism industry has been hard hit by the global health crisis.
Some of the money going to the regions had been earmarked in the federal budget.
Saskatchewan Minister of Parks, Culture and Sport accused Ottawa of only being interested in supporting the tourism sector in Eastern Canada.
Gene Makowsky calls it “outrageous” and says the Saskatchewan’s tourism industry put more than 70,000 people to work last year.
“It is my expectation that there will be a more substantial announcement made in support of Western Canada in the coming days to ensure all regions in Canada receive equitable treatment through these unprecedented times,” he says.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 25, 2020.
The Canadian Press