Ekati Diamond Mine shut down to prevent spread of COVID-19 to staff, communities

Ekati Diamond Mine shut down to prevent spread of COVID-19 to staff, communities
Share this article

CALGARY — Canada’s oldest diamond mine is being shut down to protect workers and local communities from the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Calgary-based Dominion Diamond Mines ULC says in a message on its website that none of the employees at its Ekati Diamond Mine about 300 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories has tested positive to date.

But it says it’s taking the action given the rapid spread of the virus, the remote location of the Ekati mine’s operations and the high frequency of air travel required for employees and support staff.

It says a small care and maintenance crew will stay on to maintain the mine for an undetermined period. According to the website, Ekati has about 1,800 employees.

BHP Billiton opened the Ekati mine in 1998. Dominion bought it in 2013.

Earlier this week, Toronto-based Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd. announced it would send its local workforce of about 450 people home from its two Nunavut gold mines for four weeks with pay to protect them and their communities from the outbreak.

It said local workers who are not currently on site at its Meliadine and Meadowbank operations will be asked to stay home, while the reduced workforce of about 2,500 that remains will keep the mines running.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 20, 2020.

Companies in this story: (TSX:AEM)

The Canadian Press

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.